Monday, February 23, 2009

Who's Oscar?

"LOS ANGELES – "Slumdog Millionaire" took the best-picture Academy Award and seven other Oscars on Sunday, including director for Danny Boyle, whose ghetto-to-glory story paralleled the film's unlikely rise to Hollywood's summit.
A story of hope amid squalor in Mumbai, India, "Slumdog Millionaire" came in with 10 nominations, its eight wins including adapted screenplay, cinematography, editing and both music Oscars (score and song)." --AP


When I watched this movie I didn't even know it was up for awards. I only learned afterwards when I googled it. I thought the movie was so powerful someone had to have noticed it. And evidently, someone did.

The Oscar crowd even gave the Slumdog cast and crew a standing ovation.

I didn't watch Milk, or any of the other movies, but I did watch Doubt, and I was rooting for Meryl Streep in the best actress category. But Kate Winslet took that one, for her performance in The Reader. Best Actor was Sean Penn (Milk).

My favorite presenters were Tina Fey and that dude from Cheaper by the Dozen whose name escapes me right now. Tina Fey is just hilarious. Sarah Palin, anyone?
Best speech: Penelope Cruz. Besides the fact that she's gorgeous and she almost fainted-- did I mention she's gorgeous? -- the Spanish at the end was beautiful. I didn't understand it, but it's what I remember.


My favorite performance in all that was Beyonce Knowles and Hugh Jackman's tribute to musicals. Picture Wolverine saying, "The musical is BACK!" Vanessa Hudgens, Zac Efron, and the couple from Mama Mia were also there. I really liked the transitions between the songs and characters from all the great musicals. (Sorry, Broadway geek speaking.) It was funny and quite well performed.

Who was that guy who sang the song from Wall-E? The one with the African background singers? Cripes they were awesome. I could almost see the gazelles running and the sun setting over the Savannah when I was listening to them. Kind of like a mental image of the orb Jolie was holding in Tomb Raider Cradle of Life.

Jai Ho is still playing in my head. (Best original song, by A.R. Rahman, also from Slumdog Millionaire.) I need a translation.

Speaking of translations... Marion Cotillard was also there! Cotillard as Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose was tres, tres bien. Thank heavens for subtitles.

I wonder what would happen if Joel McHale hosted the Oscars. To those who don't know him, McHale is the Seacrest-bashing host of The Soup, a show that makes fun of other shows. It's what you get when you take all the dumb things that happen in a week's worth of TV and condense it into thirty minutes.

Oh well. I'm just really happy Slumdog Millionaire won. I hope Angels and Demons and the Inglourious Basterds (Hitler, Hitler!) both win something next year.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rosie!

    Hope you found the translation you were looking for! Thanks for visiting my blog! And yes, Inglorious Basterds is already MY favorite for everything next year! :)

    inkspillz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. its not surprising wolverine i mean hugh jackman back in 2002 or 2004 won a tony for his role in musicals. it was very entertaining. "how do you solve a problem like maria?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. chito, "All that jazz!" hahaha. I didn't even know Wolverine could sing like that. I'll definitely watch the new X-Men movie.

    I kinda just realized a while ago that the Oscars began and ended with Slumdog Millionaire. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. inkspillz: I want to go to India. NOW. Hahaha. *Sorry, this is me being insane. I had a rather annoying day at school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont think he will sing in the new x-men movie. I have a line up of movies that I want to watch cause they will probably be as awful as spoiled milk. only now did i read your description of me, its so nice. awww. haha.

    ReplyDelete