Monday, July 14, 2008

Random Article



Random Article
I should really start being more productive than this.

FRIENDSHIP happens in that special moment when one person reaches out to another and makes a difference that no one else can make.

Nothing like a return to your old school to spark a sense of anamnesis. (I'd say "nostalgia," but that word is so common already. Haha. :-)

So anyway. These past few days marked the return of two of our batchmates: Kimberly Lee and Mico Subosa. They were both exchange students, the former to Argentina and the latter to the USA. They were essentially the same as when they left, although Kim has a missing letter r and a modified o when she speaks. I guess Spanish does that to people. But she refuses to admit this, and insists that she does not sound different. (And is probably going to give me a piece of her mind for writing that. Bwahaha.) Mico already spoke like an American anyway, so not much change. He did get thinner though. Weird. Something I thought I'd never live to see. (Peace!)

Why am I narrating this? I just though it'd be a nice way to start, since they're both my friends, and that's what this is about.

Yesterday, it was a lot like alumni day in Mandaluyong City Science High School. I saw a lot of my batchmates and friends (who decided to take advantage of the last day of the week) and for a few moments I felt like I was back in those days where the school was only 20 minutes away. Where I knew everyone, by face if not by name. Where I worried about a lot more and at the same time a lot less.

I have realized that you know a friendship is true if you're able to pick up where you left off, even if you've been apart for months or years. Sure, we all had our share of problems and shortcomings, but nothing beats that moment when you're all together again and you're laughing and talking the way you always did. When all you're insecurities and doubts and fears are gone because you know you're with people you can trust.

When nothing else matters but that moment.

I have, as I am sure many people have, had a lot of friends in the course of my ife. But out of all those so many people, there are those who have remained my closest and most trusted.

I had this playmate back when I was a grade-schooler and I hadn't seen her for five years. But when I did last summer, it was like no time passed at all and in a few seconds we were talking like we didn't get separated for such a long period. Same goes for my elementary friend, Francoise. We can not talk for months on end but when we do it feels like the time we were apart never even existed.

When I talk to my high school friends who I've not seen in a while it's suddenly like the world is alright again. Like all those things that have been bothering me cease to exist in that interminable moment when there is nothing else to do but to listen to the familiar voices that make me feel like I belong.

It's nice to know that in friendship, geographical distance and time do not matter; because friendship is not a rational act, it's an emotional one that transcends all boundaries.

A true friend may well be reckoned the greatest masterpiece of nature.

Ralph Waldo Emerson was right about that. :-)

And to my "beast" friend, who is chilling out in Canada as of the moment, here's another Emerson quote for you:

We only part to meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment